Non league footballer jailed for anti-Muslim Twitter posts
Shaun Tuck has been jailed for 12 weeks for encouraging people to ‘bomb and gas every mosque in England’ following the murder of Lee Rigby.
The 26-year-old also called for Muslim children to be beheaded in revenge for the soldier’s street killing in a drunken Twitter rant.
Tuck, a semi-professional with Witton Albion in the Northern Premier League, wanted “50 lads” with swords and machetes to storm the mosques.
Jailing him, district judge Miriam Shelvey said Tuck had tweeted during a period of “heightened racial tension” when community leaders, religious leaders and the victim’s family had called for calm.
She added: “These tweets contained threats of violence to innocent persons, including children, who would be victims solely because of their religion.
“They were promoting hatred of other community members entirely because of their religious beliefs.”
Liverpool Magistrates’ Court was told Tuck, from Norris Green, had been drinking after hearing the news of Drummer Rigby’s death on May 22.
He tweeted the offensive messages over a number of hours on the day of the high-profile murder and on the following day.
Eddie Handley, prosecuting, said the matter was reported to police and that after being arrested, Tuck admitted sending the tweets.
He pleaded guilty to an offence under the Communications Act.
When questioned by officers Tuck said it was out of character and his emotions were running high.
The court was told the tweets had been deleted within a matter of hours after they were posted.
Rachel Oakdene, defending, said Tuck, who denies he is racist, worked hard, holding down a job as a kitchen delivery assistant based in Bootle, Merseyside, alongside his semi-professional football career.
She said a jail term would jeopardise both jobs and leave him “with nothing.”
Ms Oakdene added: “He is of positive good character, he is very industrious and is a man of talent.”
From Daily Mirror